1000 CRPF personnel, 10 more bunkers to go from Srinagar
Jammu: In a major decision, Jammu and
Kashmir Government Thursday ordered withdrawal of nearly 1000
CRPF personnel from Srinagar town besides removal of 10 more
bunkers as part of its peace initiative to make life easy for
the people of the state.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah cleared the proposal this
evening after assessing the law and order situation in the
Valley, which has seen a violent summer this year, official
sources said here.
According to the sources, 10 more bunkers will be removed
from Srinagar city raising the number of bunkers removed to 26
since October five.
A plan had been worked out by the local police with the
CRPF in consultations with the security agencies for
withdrawal of one battalion of the CRPF (1000 personnel) from
the city, a move which is seen in tandem with the Chief
Minister`s promise of reducing foot prints of security
personnel in the civilian population if there was an
improvement in the situation.
Earlier, as per the decision of the unified headquarters,
16 bunkers were to be removed.
The CRPF has been assisting the state police in
maintenance of law and order in Srinagar and other towns and
its personnel are manning the bunkers dotting the city.
The Centre had also requested the state government to
review the deployment of security forces in Kashmir Valley
with particular reference to descaling the number of bunkers
and check-points in Srinagar and other towns, and to review
the notification of areas as `disturbed areas`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price