1000 Pakistani refugees court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on
a 2-day visit to the state, nearly 1,000 Pakistani refugees
today courted arrest at various areas of the district,
particularly in border belts, over the issue of seeking
"We went for jail baroo andolan in support of the long
pending demands for grant of citizenship rights to the refugee
community, particularly at the time when Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh is on a visit of J&K", Pakistani refugee
leader, Laba Ram Gandhi, told reporters here today.
Raising anti-government slogans for discriminatory
attitude to them, the refugees including women and old age
persons courted arrest.
Police officials said nearly several refugees courted
arrest at Pargwal area while many of them did the same at
Mahespura (Jammu city), Arnia, R S Pura and Akhnoor.
The refugees are demanding the right to vote, admission
in professional colleges, recruitment in state jobs and right
to own land.
Over 1.5 lakh refugees are living along Indo-Pak border
in Jammu, Samba and Kathua districts for last six decades, but
have not been granted citizenship.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?