1000 Pakistani refugees court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on
a 2-day visit to the state, nearly 1,000 Pakistani refugees
today courted arrest at various areas of the district,
particularly in border belts, over the issue of seeking
"We went for jail baroo andolan in support of the long
pending demands for grant of citizenship rights to the refugee
community, particularly at the time when Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh is on a visit of J&K", Pakistani refugee
leader, Laba Ram Gandhi, told reporters here today.
Raising anti-government slogans for discriminatory
attitude to them, the refugees including women and old age
persons courted arrest.
Police officials said nearly several refugees courted
arrest at Pargwal area while many of them did the same at
Mahespura (Jammu city), Arnia, R S Pura and Akhnoor.
The refugees are demanding the right to vote, admission
in professional colleges, recruitment in state jobs and right
to own land.
Over 1.5 lakh refugees are living along Indo-Pak border
in Jammu, Samba and Kathua districts for last six decades, but
have not been granted citizenship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Herschel beams back exquisite image of newborn stars! - See pic
- Dutch coach Danny Blind flays Man Utd over Van Gaal sacking
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma again spotted together: Reports
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)
- Six more arrested for attack on Punjab spiritual leader Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale