1000 Pakistani refugees court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on
a 2-day visit to the state, nearly 1,000 Pakistani refugees
today courted arrest at various areas of the district,
particularly in border belts, over the issue of seeking
"We went for jail baroo andolan in support of the long
pending demands for grant of citizenship rights to the refugee
community, particularly at the time when Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh is on a visit of J&K", Pakistani refugee
leader, Laba Ram Gandhi, told reporters here today.
Raising anti-government slogans for discriminatory
attitude to them, the refugees including women and old age
persons courted arrest.
Police officials said nearly several refugees courted
arrest at Pargwal area while many of them did the same at
Mahespura (Jammu city), Arnia, R S Pura and Akhnoor.
The refugees are demanding the right to vote, admission
in professional colleges, recruitment in state jobs and right
to own land.
Over 1.5 lakh refugees are living along Indo-Pak border
in Jammu, Samba and Kathua districts for last six decades, but
have not been granted citizenship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Wimbledon: Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna face-off likely in pre-quarters
- Pak envoy Abdul Basit unfazed by LeT attack in J&K's Pampore, says 'let's enjoy Iftar party'
- Euro 2016: Italy`s Antonio Candreva to miss pre-quarters clash with Spain
- India has a very big infrastructure programme: Arun Jaitley
- Germany's Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with 'partner' Britain