1000 Pakistani refugees court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on
a 2-day visit to the state, nearly 1,000 Pakistani refugees
today courted arrest at various areas of the district,
particularly in border belts, over the issue of seeking
"We went for jail baroo andolan in support of the long
pending demands for grant of citizenship rights to the refugee
community, particularly at the time when Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh is on a visit of J&K", Pakistani refugee
leader, Laba Ram Gandhi, told reporters here today.
Raising anti-government slogans for discriminatory
attitude to them, the refugees including women and old age
persons courted arrest.
Police officials said nearly several refugees courted
arrest at Pargwal area while many of them did the same at
Mahespura (Jammu city), Arnia, R S Pura and Akhnoor.
The refugees are demanding the right to vote, admission
in professional colleges, recruitment in state jobs and right
to own land.
Over 1.5 lakh refugees are living along Indo-Pak border
in Jammu, Samba and Kathua districts for last six decades, but
have not been granted citizenship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder