1000 Pakistani refugees court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on
a 2-day visit to the state, nearly 1,000 Pakistani refugees
today courted arrest at various areas of the district,
particularly in border belts, over the issue of seeking
"We went for jail baroo andolan in support of the long
pending demands for grant of citizenship rights to the refugee
community, particularly at the time when Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh is on a visit of J&K", Pakistani refugee
leader, Laba Ram Gandhi, told reporters here today.
Raising anti-government slogans for discriminatory
attitude to them, the refugees including women and old age
persons courted arrest.
Police officials said nearly several refugees courted
arrest at Pargwal area while many of them did the same at
Mahespura (Jammu city), Arnia, R S Pura and Akhnoor.
The refugees are demanding the right to vote, admission
in professional colleges, recruitment in state jobs and right
to own land.
Over 1.5 lakh refugees are living along Indo-Pak border
in Jammu, Samba and Kathua districts for last six decades, but
have not been granted citizenship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre