109 arrested in crackdown on illicit liquor sale in J&K
Jammu: Cracking down on manufacture and sale of illicit liquor in the state, Jammu and Kashmir excise department arrested 109 people and seized over 37,000 kg of hooch in the state during the current financial year.
As many as 109 persons were arrested and 37,249 kg of Lahan (illicit liquor) was destroyed during current financial year 2012-13, J&K Excise Commissioner, Vineeta Gupta said here.
The excise department also recovered penalty of Rs 18.15 lakh from the offenders, she said.
Up to October this fiscal, a fine of Rs 13.52 lakh was collected from tax evaders at toll plaza Lakhanpur, besides seizure of 6,470 pieces of willow clefts which are used in manufacturing cricket bats, and 70 grammes of opium, she said.
Jammu and Kashmir government arrested 222 people and seized nearly 76,000 kg of illicit liquor, while collecting penalty of Rs 27.23 lakh in the state during 2011-12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what