10th phase of J&K panchayat polls begins
Srinagar: The tenth phase of panchayat elections on Saturday began in five blocks of the Kashmir Valley and in six blocks of Jammu division of the state, officials said.
In north Kashmir`s Kupwara district, votes were being cast in Teethwal block, where 63 per cent polling was recorded till 11 am.
The voting to elect the grass root level representatives is also underway in Pattan block of Baramulla district and Hajin block of Bandipora district in north
By 11 am 42 percent votes had been cast in the Pattan block and 65 percent votes were cast in the Hajin block.
Voting was also underway in Kellar block in Pulwama district and in Dachnipora in Anantnag district of south Kashmir.
In both the blocks, 34 percent votes were cast by 11
AM, an electoral official said.
The six blocks in Jammu division where the panchayat elections are underway include Khor block in Jammu district (56.6 percent voting so far), Banihal block in Ramban district (40 percent voting so far) and Inderwal block in Kishtwar district (46 percent voting so far), official said.
In Doda district, 48 percent votes had been cast in the two blocks of Thatri and Asar.
In Poonch district`s Balakote block 49 percent votes were cast by 11 AM, the official said.
In Baniyas, repoll for one Panchayat was underway falling in Hiranagar block of Kathua district.
The first leg of the 16-phase polls was held in eight blocks of the State on April 13.
Last six phases of the Panchayat elections will be held on May 25, May 29, June 2, June 6, June 11 and June 16.
Panchayat elections are being held in the state after a gap of ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list