11 from Jammu and Kashmir make it to civil services
Srinagar: Eleven candidates from Jammu and Kashmir have made it to the final list of candidates in the prestigious civil services examination. The results were announced by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Friday.
Sehrish Asgar, who made it to the Indian Police Service (IPS) in 2012, improved her rank and finished 23rd in the overall merit list, ensuring her selection for the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) this year.
Another candidate, Showkat Parray, bagged the 41st rank in 2013. He had made it to the Indian Postal Services when he passed the civil services exams three years back.
Among others selected from the state are Khurshid Ali Qadri, Abid Sadiq, Naveed Tramboo, Amanullah Tak, Adnan Nayeem Asmi, Ruveda Salam Bajard, Vikas Kundal, Anchita Pandoh and Ifftekhar Ahmad Choudhary.
Of the selected 11 candidates from the state, eight belong to the valley and three to the Jammu region.
Having overcome their "shyness" to sit for the prestigious exams, young men and women from Jammu and Kashmir have been bringing laurels to the state by passing the test regularly for the last five years.
Given the state`s 10.25 million population, the ratio of selected candidates is higher than that of Bihar, from where candidates have been making it to the civil services selected list in relatively large numbers.
A local doctor, Shah Faesal, had topped the civil services examination in 2009. Faesal belongs to the north Kashmir Kupwara district. He has been allotted his home state cadre, and at present serves in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win