11 from Jammu and Kashmir make it to civil services
Srinagar: Eleven candidates from Jammu and Kashmir have made it to the final list of candidates in the prestigious civil services examination. The results were announced by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Friday.
Sehrish Asgar, who made it to the Indian Police Service (IPS) in 2012, improved her rank and finished 23rd in the overall merit list, ensuring her selection for the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) this year.
Another candidate, Showkat Parray, bagged the 41st rank in 2013. He had made it to the Indian Postal Services when he passed the civil services exams three years back.
Among others selected from the state are Khurshid Ali Qadri, Abid Sadiq, Naveed Tramboo, Amanullah Tak, Adnan Nayeem Asmi, Ruveda Salam Bajard, Vikas Kundal, Anchita Pandoh and Ifftekhar Ahmad Choudhary.
Of the selected 11 candidates from the state, eight belong to the valley and three to the Jammu region.
Having overcome their "shyness" to sit for the prestigious exams, young men and women from Jammu and Kashmir have been bringing laurels to the state by passing the test regularly for the last five years.
Given the state`s 10.25 million population, the ratio of selected candidates is higher than that of Bihar, from where candidates have been making it to the civil services selected list in relatively large numbers.
A local doctor, Shah Faesal, had topped the civil services examination in 2009. Faesal belongs to the north Kashmir Kupwara district. He has been allotted his home state cadre, and at present serves in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender