11 injured in clashes after bovine smuggler`s death in Jammu
Jammu: At least 11 persons, including seven policemen, were injured on Tuesday in protests here against the death of an alleged bovine smuggler in a road mishap when police were chasing him.
"Manzoor Ahmed, who was smuggling bovines in a truck on Jammu-Srinagar National highway, was asked to stop at Narwal check post late last night.He hit the cops there and fled from the spot," OP Chib Station House Officer (SHO), Nagrota said.
Ahmed also hit a flying squad vehicle trying to stop him and jumped from the truck in a bid to escape but met with an accident resulting in his death on the spot, the SHO said.
Following the incident, over 500 people, mostly Gujjars and the deceased`s relatives, blocked the highway and resorted to stone pelting on police and passing vehicles. They blamed police for Ahmed`s death.
"The protests and stone pelting continued for over one and half hours," Chib said. Police had to resort to teargas shelling and cane charging to disperse the mob.
Police took away the body and rushed it to the GMC hospital for postmortem. "After postmortem, Ahmed`s body will be given to his relative for last rites," Chib said.
Seven policemen and four passersby were injured in the stone pelting, Chib said, adding that a case has been registered.
A total of 50 bovine smugglers were arrested and over 400 bovines were rescued during their smuggling to Kashmir Valley from Jammu areas last year. Government has also slapped Public safety Act against 11 bovine smugglers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read