11 injured in clashes after bovine smuggler`s death in Jammu
Jammu: At least 11 persons, including seven policemen, were injured on Tuesday in protests here against the death of an alleged bovine smuggler in a road mishap when police were chasing him.
"Manzoor Ahmed, who was smuggling bovines in a truck on Jammu-Srinagar National highway, was asked to stop at Narwal check post late last night.He hit the cops there and fled from the spot," OP Chib Station House Officer (SHO), Nagrota said.
Ahmed also hit a flying squad vehicle trying to stop him and jumped from the truck in a bid to escape but met with an accident resulting in his death on the spot, the SHO said.
Following the incident, over 500 people, mostly Gujjars and the deceased`s relatives, blocked the highway and resorted to stone pelting on police and passing vehicles. They blamed police for Ahmed`s death.
"The protests and stone pelting continued for over one and half hours," Chib said. Police had to resort to teargas shelling and cane charging to disperse the mob.
Police took away the body and rushed it to the GMC hospital for postmortem. "After postmortem, Ahmed`s body will be given to his relative for last rites," Chib said.
Seven policemen and four passersby were injured in the stone pelting, Chib said, adding that a case has been registered.
A total of 50 bovine smugglers were arrested and over 400 bovines were rescued during their smuggling to Kashmir Valley from Jammu areas last year. Government has also slapped Public safety Act against 11 bovine smugglers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister