13 magisterial probes ordered during 2009-10: Omar
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
today said it had ordered magisterial inquiries into 13 cases
of alleged violation of human rights in the state in the past
20 months and taken action as per law in most cases.
Thirteen magisterial inquiries were ordered during
2009-10 to investigate alleged human rights violations leading
to the killing of 19 people, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said
in a written reply in the state assembly.
Omar, who also holds the Home portfolio, said the
inquiries were in progress in four cases while action had been
taken in the remaining as required under law.
He said a total of 98 civilians were killed during the
unrest in the Valley between June 11 and October four.
Omar said Kashmir had witnessed a cycle of
violence since April instigated by separatists over alleged
human rights violations.
Responding to questions of several PDP members about
government`s intention to hold a judicial probe by a sitting
judge of the Supreme Court into civilian killings, he said a
Commission of Inquiry had already been ordered into 17 cases
of civilian casualties during law and order disturbances from
June 11 to July 29.
The Anantnag District Magistrate had also ordered an
inquiry into the firing incident at Anchidora in the south
Kashmir town on July 29, he said adding the government had
accepted the magisterial inquiry report and the follow up
action on the basis of the report had been initiated.
The Chief Minister said 19 FIRs had been registered
at various police stations against security forces where
allegations of unprovoked firing or use of excessive forces
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders