14 top commanders among 21 militants killed in J-K this year
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir`s new strategy
of "surgical strikes" on actionable Intelligence inputs seems
to have paid off well as 14 A-grade commanders are among 21
militants eliminated in the state since January, say police.
According to a security report prepared by the home
department, top commanders of Harkat-ul-Jehadi Islami (HuJI)
and Jaish were killed during the past one and half month.
Statistics said 14 militants including seven
commanders were killed in January, followed by seven
commanders till February 15.
"There is huge pressure on the leadership of terror
groups like LeT, JeM, HM and HuJI. They are changing their
locations as police are seeking them," a senior police officer
According to the officer, the success has been due to
the "meticulous surgical operation on actionable
"Police killed wanted HuJI `supreme commander` Feroz
Ahmed Meghmo and his two deputy commanders Nazir Ahmed and
Ishaq after a week long tracking in Chechie in Kishtwar
district on February four. Such was the operation that
Meghmo`s wife Hafiza and two children were captured alive
during the operation without any injury to them," the officer
Before this, police tracked down another A-category
terrorist Jaish-e-Mohammad`s (JeM) chief Abdullah Sani alias
Dawood in Mendhar tehsil of Poonch district on January 17.
It was followed by killing of JeM divisional commander
Aziz Ali in Mendhar tehsil of Poonch district on February 3.
Besides this other A-category commanders were Irfan
Mustaq (deputy divisional commander of Hizb), Adil Pathan and
Khalid Hussain (battalion commanders of Hizb), Riyaz Bedad
(Hizb district commander), Aslam (Hizb divisional commander),
and Saddam (Hizb deputy commander), Zakir Hussain (Hizb
section commander) and Nisar Shah and Saifulah (LeT
In 2009, police and security forces had killed 51 A-
grade commanders among 242 militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Govt rejects Infosys proposal to set up IT SEZ in West Bengal
- Urjit Patel as new RBI head to ensure continuity: Mundra
- Manipur tribals to observe unity day on Aug 31
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach