14th phase of Kashmir panchayat polls ends
Srinagar: The 14th phase of the Jammu and Kashmir panchayat elections ended Monday afternoon in eight panchayat blocks across the state.
Polling started at 8 am on Monday in Pampore, Shopian, Kalaroos and Kralpora blocks of the Kashmir Valley and in Nobra, Panamic, Nyoma and Durbuk blocks of the Ladakh region.
A senior poll official said 44 percent votes had been polled in Pampore, 54 percent in Shopian, 78 percent in Kalaroos and 87 percent in Kralpora.
The voter turnout was 72 percent in Nobra, 62 percent in Panamic, 54 percent in Nyoma and 59 percent in Durbuk blocks.
The 15th phase of the elections will be held on Saturday (June 11).
Panchayat elections are being held to elect sarpanches (village headmen) and panches (village councillors).
These elections are being held after a gap of ten years because of the disturbed law and order situation following the outbreak of the separatist violence in the state.
Since the Jammu and Kashmir Panchayati Raj Act does not provide the use of electronic voting machines (EVMs), paper ballots and ballot boxes are being used in these elections.
All the rounds so far have seen massive voter participation.
These elections are being held on a non-party basis. However, both the ruling National Conference-Congress alliance and the opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) have claimed that their candidates have been sweeping the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical