15 people killed, 18 injured as bus falls into gorge in J&K
Jammu: Fifteen people, believed to be Amarnath pilgrims, were killed and 18 others injured when a SRTC bus skidded off the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway and rolled down into a deep gorge in Ramban district.
The State Road Transport Corporation bus was on its way from Kashmir Valley to Jammu, rolled down into Digdol nallah around 2320 hours last night, Superintendent of Police (Ramban) Anil Magotra told PTI.
In the mishap, 15 people have died and 18 others were injured, some of them critically, he said.
Magotra, who led the rescue work, said the operation concluded this morning with the recovery of 14 bodies. One of the victims died at GMC hospital in Jammu.
The injured have been admitted to the Ramban district hospital from where some of the critical were referred to GMC hospital, the SP said, adding that most of the victims were outsiders.
"It appears that they are Amarnath pilgrims. But we need to verify the registration documents to give their account," the SP said.
"Most probably they are Amarnath pilgrims. But we have to go through a process to ensure compensation in case the victims are Amarnath pilgrims," an official attached with the PCR said here.
The government has asked the Deputy Commissioner and SP of Ramban to identify the possible Amarnath yatris among the victims, he said.
In another mishap, six Vaishnodevi pilgrims were injured in a head-on collision between a car and Tata Sumo in Katra belt of Reasi district late last night.
The injured have been hospitalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read