15 people killed, 18 injured as bus falls into gorge in J&K
Jammu: Fifteen people, believed to be Amarnath pilgrims, were killed and 18 others injured when a SRTC bus skidded off the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway and rolled down into a deep gorge in Ramban district.
The State Road Transport Corporation bus was on its way from Kashmir Valley to Jammu, rolled down into Digdol nallah around 2320 hours last night, Superintendent of Police (Ramban) Anil Magotra told PTI.
In the mishap, 15 people have died and 18 others were injured, some of them critically, he said.
Magotra, who led the rescue work, said the operation concluded this morning with the recovery of 14 bodies. One of the victims died at GMC hospital in Jammu.
The injured have been admitted to the Ramban district hospital from where some of the critical were referred to GMC hospital, the SP said, adding that most of the victims were outsiders.
"It appears that they are Amarnath pilgrims. But we need to verify the registration documents to give their account," the SP said.
"Most probably they are Amarnath pilgrims. But we have to go through a process to ensure compensation in case the victims are Amarnath pilgrims," an official attached with the PCR said here.
The government has asked the Deputy Commissioner and SP of Ramban to identify the possible Amarnath yatris among the victims, he said.
In another mishap, six Vaishnodevi pilgrims were injured in a head-on collision between a car and Tata Sumo in Katra belt of Reasi district late last night.
The injured have been hospitalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'