‘19 of 24 AFSPA cases against Armymen rejected’
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Government has
in the last five years sought sanction for prosecution against
Army personnel in 24 cases under the AFSPA of which 19 were
rejected as no prima facie case was made out against the
accused officials, Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
"24 cases seeking sanction for prosecution under Armed
Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) have been received from
Jammu and Kashmir Home Department during the last five years
from 2007 to December 15 this year," Defence Minister A K
Antony said in reply to a written question.
He said five cases were still under examination.
"In the 19 cases, the requests for prosecution sanction
were rejected as it was found on examination that no prima
facie case was made out against the accused Army personnel,"
Meanwhile, answering a query on security of Andaman and
Nicobar Islands territories, the Defence Minister said
instances of illegal poaching by foreign fishermen have been
noticed in "recent times."
"Measures to contain the menace include strict action
against the poachers, diplomatic initiatives with their
Governments and enhanced surveillance and patrolling by our
security agencies in the Islands," he said.
Antony said a chain of Automated Identification System
(AIS) is also being established in these Island territories.
To a query on service extension granted to DRDO
scientists, the Defence Minister said a total of 66 of them
including 23 in 2011 were given extension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- US presidential election takes shape; Trump, Clinton look all set for final battle
- This is how Jawahar Lal Nehru reacted when asked about rumours of his second marriage
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried