1995 Al-Faran abduction case: Master file gutted
Srinagar: The master file related to the 1995 abduction of six foreigners by Al-Faran militant outfit was gutted in arson during the summer unrest of 2010, Jammu and Kashmir State Human Rights Commission was informed on Monday.
"IGP Crime has submitted that the full case diary along with other relevant documents prepared by the Crime Branch Kashmir were sent to the Police Station Pahalgam for submitting the closure report before the competent court of law.
"The master file retained in the office of SSP Crime has been reduced to ashes during the fire on September 11, 2010," the SHRC observed in its order after today`s hearing.
Rights groups Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP) and International Peoples Tribunal on Human Rights in Kashmir (IPTK) had filed application before the Commission seeking re-investigation into the case.
Following which on April 17, the commission had sought response from four police officers, including former IGP (Kashmir) PS Gill.
Paul Wells and Keith Mangan of Britain, Dirk Hassert (Germany), John Childs and Donald Hutching (US) and Hans Christan Ostro (Norway) were kidnapped in Pahalgam by the little-known Al-Faran militant group.
While Childs managed to escape, 27-year-old Ostro was killed and his body was found on August 13, 1995. The other four foreigners remain untraced.
The Commission asked Deputy Commissioner Anantnag to file his report by or before the next date of hearing as the matter is of international importance.
The Commission also directed that a reminder be sent to then IGP Kashmir P S Gill to file a response in the matter.
The case has been listed for September 18 for further proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?