1995 kidnapping case: SHRC asks official to file reply
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) on Tuesday directed IPS officer Ashkoor Wani and former Inspector General of Police (Kashmir) P S Gill to respond to the notices in the case of kidnapping of six foreign tourists by militants in 1995.
"The administrative officer will write fresh reminders to Gill and Wani impressing upon them that in case their personal responses are not received by the Commission by or before the next date, adverse inference in the matter will be drawn against them," a division bench of the Commission said.
Fixing August 7 for the next hearing of the case, the division bench also warned of coercive orders against Crime Branch officials if they failed to file the probe report by the next date.
Rights groups Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP) and International Peoples Tribunal on Human Rights in Kashmir (IPTK) had filed application before the Commission seeking re-investigation into the case.
Paul Wells and Keith Mangan of Britain, Dirk Hassert (Germany), John Childs and Donald Hutching (US) and Hans Christan Ostro (Norway) were kidnapped in Pahalgam by the little-known Al-Faran militant group, believed to be a shadow outfit of Harkat-ul-Ansar.
While Childs managed to escape six days after his abduction, 27-year-old Ostro was killed and his body was found on August 13, 1995. The other four foreigners remain untraced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’