2 bills passed to setup Election & Finance Commissions in J&K
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir will now have a
State Election Commission (SEC) and State Finance Commission
(SFC) for panchayats and municipalities with the two Houses of
the state legislature adopting separate bills in this regard.
A bill to amend the Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Raj Act,
1989 (LA Bill 13 of 2011) was passed by Legislative Assembly
after a voice vote on Saturday.
After discussion over the bill Law, Justice and
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar told the
House this bill was brought by the government to fulfil its
commitment with the people for empowering the panchayats in
Jammu and Kahsmir.
Later the bill, which proposes to setup State Election
Commission (SEC) in Jammu and Kashmir for Panchayat elections,
was passed by the upper House with a voice vote and the bill
was returned to the Legislative Assembly.
The Minister for Finance Abdul Rahim Rather moved another
bill in Legislative Council today providing for the
constitution of a State Finance Commission to review the
financial position of the panchayats, municipalities and
suggesting measures thereof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16