2 ceasefire violations by Pak at Poonch, Uri sectors in J-K
Jammu/Srinagar: In two ceasefire violations
on Wednesday, Pakistani troops pounded 10 Indian posts with mortar
bombs and rockets and fired indiscriminately along the Line of
Control (LoC) in Poonch and Uri sectors in Jammu and Kashmir.
The ceasefire violations within a gap of a couple of
hours are the eighth in less than a month along the LoC in J
and K and the fifth this month alone with the last incident
occurring on Sunday.
No casualties among the Indian troops were reported in
today`s incidents unlike during the ceasefire violation on
Sunday when army jawan Moray Sehdev of 17 Mahar Regiment was
killed after Indian posts were targeted with rockets in the
Krishnagati sub-sector in Poonch.
The ceasefire violations occurred when the 63rd Infantry
day was being celebrated to mark the landing of the Indian
army in the Kashmir valley to beat back Tribal attack in 1948
to foil the designs of Pakistan.
Armed with heavy guns and rocket launchers, Pakistani
troops shelled Indian forward posts along LoC in Krishnagati
sub-sector of Poonch district around 1630 hours, Brigadier
General Staff (BGS), 16 Corps, Brig Satesh Dua told PTI in
Two to three posts came under unprovoked shelling and
firing, he said.
Indian troops guarding the LoC took position and
retaliated leading to heavy exchanges till late in the
evening, he said.
Over 20 to 25 mortar bombs and rockets were fired on
Indian side, he said, adding there was no casualties among the
Pakistani troops fired from their Chuha, Pimple and Daku
posts and targeted Indian forward posts of Kranti, Kripan-1,
Chajja and Kripan-2 posts.
The army believes that ceasfire violation is a
diversionary tactic to facilitate infiltration of militants
from across the LoC before the onset of winter snow which
blocks the Himalayan mountain passes.
In the second ceasefire violation which was in the
Valley, Pakistani troops fired towards Indian positions in Uri
sector by resorting to unprovoked firing, an army spokesman
"Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked firing towards
our positions in Uri sector this evening," the spokesman said
He said there were no casualties in the firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!