2 cops killed as militants strike in Pulwama, Kulgam
Srinagar: Militants on Wednesday struck twice in a span of six hours, killing two policemen on duty in Pulwama and Kulgam districts of south Kashmir.
Constable Dalbir Singh was shot at by unidentified militants from a very close range at Rajpora chowk in Pulwama town, 35 km from here, around noon, police said.
Singh was referred to a hospital here in a critical condition, where he succumbed to injuries.
In Yaripora market of Kulgam district, 80 km from here, militants shot at constable Mukhtar Ahmad, who was posted on duty there, the police said.
Ahmad was rushed to district hospital Kulgam, where he was declared brought dead, police said adding the incident took place around 5.30 PM.
Soon after the attacks, operations were launched at both places to track down the assailants who fled the scene taking advantage of panic caused by the shootings.
No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred