2 cops killed as militants strike in Pulwama, Kulgam
Srinagar: Militants on Wednesday struck twice in a span of six hours, killing two policemen on duty in Pulwama and Kulgam districts of south Kashmir.
Constable Dalbir Singh was shot at by unidentified militants from a very close range at Rajpora chowk in Pulwama town, 35 km from here, around noon, police said.
Singh was referred to a hospital here in a critical condition, where he succumbed to injuries.
In Yaripora market of Kulgam district, 80 km from here, militants shot at constable Mukhtar Ahmad, who was posted on duty there, the police said.
Ahmad was rushed to district hospital Kulgam, where he was declared brought dead, police said adding the incident took place around 5.30 PM.
Soon after the attacks, operations were launched at both places to track down the assailants who fled the scene taking advantage of panic caused by the shootings.
No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’