2 JeM militants killed in Pulwama gunbattle
Srinagar: Two militants of Pakistan-based
Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) outfit were killed in a four-hour-long
gunbattle in Pulwama district of South Kashmir today, a senior
Police officer said.
Sajjad and Javaid, both local militants, were killed in
the gunbattle at village Shankerpora, 40 kms from here, Senior
Superintendent of Police, Pulwama, Kifayat Hyder told PTI.
He said the ultras were killed around 1 PM after the
house, from where they were firing at the search parties, was
brought down. "Their bodies along with two Ak assault rifles,
some grenades and ammunition were recovered from the debris
after several hours of intense search," he said.
"We have not concluded the operation as the search parties
are still sifting through the debris," the SSP said.
He said the ultras fired over 200 rounds since the
beginning of the encounter at around 8.45 AM but the security
forces suffered no causality.
The village was cordoned off by a joint party of police
and security forces last evening following specific inputs
about the presence of the ultras, he said.
After plugging all escape routes, the search parties moved
to the house this morning and asked the militants to surrender
but they refused and instead started firing, Hyder said.
This is the third encounter in four days in the valley.
Two JeM militants were killed in a day-long encounter in
Chandoosa area of north Kashmir`s Baramulla district
In another incident, a self-styled district commander of
Lashker-e-Toiba and his close accomplice were shot dead in
Kulgam district in south Kashmir on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note