2 LeT militants killed in encounter in Kishtwar
Jammu: Two Lashker-e-Toiba militants,
including a self-styled District Commander, were Thursday shot dead in an encounter in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Based on intelligence inputs, a joint security column of
the Rastriya Rifles (RR) was launched in Saranwa area in the
district early today, a senior Army officer of 16 Corps said.
On noticing the movement of forces near a foot bridge in
Saranwa, the terrorists opened fire following which troops
retaliated, he said, adding that the terrorists, taking
advantage of thick foliage and treacherous terrain, tried to
In the operation, two LeT terrorists were killed and
another terrorist is believed to have escaped, he said.
"One AK-47 rifle, two magazines and a grenade have been
recovered from the terrorists," he said.
The slain terrorists were identified as Sultan Bhatt alias
Noman, a self-proclaimed District Commander and Jaan Mohammed.
They were part of the much dreaded LeT group under Salman,
who is active in Keshwan area of Kishtwar.
Nomam had joined the group in 2009 and was active since
then while Mohammed had recently joined the outfit, he said.
The Army officer claimed that the LeT, which had been
wiped out from the area after the elimination of Ishaq Bhat
alias Atik-led group in Bonjwa, was in the process of revival
under this group in Keshwan.
After this, LeT terrorists were looking out for new
recruits in the district and maintaining contact with their
mentors across the border to disturb the peace in the region,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’