2 LeT militants killed in encounter in Kishtwar
Jammu: Two Lashker-e-Toiba militants,
including a self-styled District Commander, were Thursday shot dead in an encounter in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Based on intelligence inputs, a joint security column of
the Rastriya Rifles (RR) was launched in Saranwa area in the
district early today, a senior Army officer of 16 Corps said.
On noticing the movement of forces near a foot bridge in
Saranwa, the terrorists opened fire following which troops
retaliated, he said, adding that the terrorists, taking
advantage of thick foliage and treacherous terrain, tried to
In the operation, two LeT terrorists were killed and
another terrorist is believed to have escaped, he said.
"One AK-47 rifle, two magazines and a grenade have been
recovered from the terrorists," he said.
The slain terrorists were identified as Sultan Bhatt alias
Noman, a self-proclaimed District Commander and Jaan Mohammed.
They were part of the much dreaded LeT group under Salman,
who is active in Keshwan area of Kishtwar.
Nomam had joined the group in 2009 and was active since
then while Mohammed had recently joined the outfit, he said.
The Army officer claimed that the LeT, which had been
wiped out from the area after the elimination of Ishaq Bhat
alias Atik-led group in Bonjwa, was in the process of revival
under this group in Keshwan.
After this, LeT terrorists were looking out for new
recruits in the district and maintaining contact with their
mentors across the border to disturb the peace in the region,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!