20 panchayat members resign in J&K citing threat to life
Srinagar: 20 panches and sarpanches of Baramulla district quit today citing "threats to their lives" in the wake of fresh militant attacks on Panchayat members in Jammu and Kashmir.
The panches and sarpanches of Sopore area in the district announced their resignations in the presence of the media here.
"We fear for our lives...And are therefore resigning," said Manzoor Ahmad Rather, a sarpanch from Hardshiva Sopore.
As concerns mounted, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reviewed the security situation in the Valley against the backdrop of attacks on panchayat members.
The meeting, which lasted nearly two hours, discussed the area domination and sanitisation exercise carried out by security forces in vulnerable areas of the Valley, official sources said.
The Chief Minister directed the police to carry out speedy investigations into the attacks on panchayat members so that assailants can be brought to book.
Suspected militants on Friday shot dead a sarpanch, Habibullah Mir at Goripora village in Sopore town, 52 kms from here, while a woman panchayat member Zoonaa Begum was shot and injured inside her house at Hardshiva Sopore last night.
Panchayat members in Kashmir have been demanding security from the state government since last year after such similar incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack