20 panchayat members resign in J&K citing threat to life
Srinagar: 20 panches and sarpanches of Baramulla district quit today citing "threats to their lives" in the wake of fresh militant attacks on Panchayat members in Jammu and Kashmir.
The panches and sarpanches of Sopore area in the district announced their resignations in the presence of the media here.
"We fear for our lives...And are therefore resigning," said Manzoor Ahmad Rather, a sarpanch from Hardshiva Sopore.
As concerns mounted, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reviewed the security situation in the Valley against the backdrop of attacks on panchayat members.
The meeting, which lasted nearly two hours, discussed the area domination and sanitisation exercise carried out by security forces in vulnerable areas of the Valley, official sources said.
The Chief Minister directed the police to carry out speedy investigations into the attacks on panchayat members so that assailants can be brought to book.
Suspected militants on Friday shot dead a sarpanch, Habibullah Mir at Goripora village in Sopore town, 52 kms from here, while a woman panchayat member Zoonaa Begum was shot and injured inside her house at Hardshiva Sopore last night.
Panchayat members in Kashmir have been demanding security from the state government since last year after such similar incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan