20 panchayat members resign in J&K citing threat to life
Srinagar: 20 panches and sarpanches of Baramulla district quit today citing "threats to their lives" in the wake of fresh militant attacks on Panchayat members in Jammu and Kashmir.
The panches and sarpanches of Sopore area in the district announced their resignations in the presence of the media here.
"We fear for our lives...And are therefore resigning," said Manzoor Ahmad Rather, a sarpanch from Hardshiva Sopore.
As concerns mounted, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reviewed the security situation in the Valley against the backdrop of attacks on panchayat members.
The meeting, which lasted nearly two hours, discussed the area domination and sanitisation exercise carried out by security forces in vulnerable areas of the Valley, official sources said.
The Chief Minister directed the police to carry out speedy investigations into the attacks on panchayat members so that assailants can be brought to book.
Suspected militants on Friday shot dead a sarpanch, Habibullah Mir at Goripora village in Sopore town, 52 kms from here, while a woman panchayat member Zoonaa Begum was shot and injured inside her house at Hardshiva Sopore last night.
Panchayat members in Kashmir have been demanding security from the state government since last year after such similar incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation