2011 saw lowest violence in over 2 decades in J&K
Jammu: In a significant decline in terrorist
violence in Jammu and Kashmir, around 190 incidents were
reported this year, the lowest in last 22 years of militancy
in the state.
"As a result of our combined efforts, there has been
discernible improvement in the situation. The militancy
related incidents continue to show a dwindling graph and were
lowest-ever during last 22 years of militancy," Director
General of Police Kuldeep Khuda said.
Terrorist violence this year dropped to an all time low of
around 190 incidents as compared to 368 cases last year, the
The year 2011 witnessed a sharp drop of 47 per cent in
terrorist violence cases as compared to last year.
Jammu witnessed 74 per cent drop whereas Kashmir
witnessed 33 per cent drop in terrorist violence as compared
to last year. 37 militancy incidents were reported in Jammu
this year, while Kashmir witnessed 152, he said.
"The overall situation has improved drastically during
the past few years," he said.
As many as 159 people, including 99 terrorists, were
killed this year as compared to 323 last year in the state
during the same period showing a dip in killings by over 55
percent, as per the statistics compiled by the state Home
Against 41 civilians killed last year, as many as 28
died this year during the same period. Similarly, against 66
security force personnel killed in 2010, only 31 died this
This year 99 militants were killed, while 217 were killed
last year, the DGP said.
As per the statistics, 13 districts of Jammu and Kashmir
have reported militancy incidents in a single digit, while
three districts have recorded no militancy cases.
Budgam witnessed only 3 militancy incidents followed by 4
in Kulgam, 5 in Anantnag, 8 in Shopian, 8 in Ganderbal, 8 in
Bandipora thus a total of 36 incidents were reported in six
districts of Kashmir.
While in Jammu, eight militancy cases were recorded in
Kishtwar, 5 in Ramban, 6 in Doda, 4 in Poonch, 2 in Rajouri
and one each in Jammu and Udhampur districts.
No militancy incidents were witnessed in Reasi, border
districts of Samba and Kathua in Jammu region, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital