230 suicides by women reported in 2 years in J&K
Jammu: A total of 230 suicides by women have
been reported between 2010 to 2012 in Jammu and Kashmir, a
state minister on Tuesday said.
"During 2010-11 to 2011-12, 230 suicide deaths among
women have been reported in the state," minister for social
welfare Sakina Itoo said.
406 camps have been organised to generate awareness among
women about their rights, and benefits of the schemes of the
department, Itoo said.
The social welfare department along with the state police
is organising regular awareness camps to educate people about
different schemes of the government to curb the practice, said
She also said that about five lakh beneficiaries have
been brought under the ambit of different welfare and pension
schemes being run by the department.
Itoo was replying to a question by Naresh Kumar Gupta in
Legislative Council today.
She also said at district level a monitoring committee
headed by respective superintendent of police stands
constituted to ensure financial assistance to rape victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video