25,000 people take J&K professional entrance test
Srinagar: Over 25,000 candidates Saturday sat for the Common Entrance Test (CET) for various professional courses across Jammu and Kashmir, said an official of the board for professional colleges.
A Board of Professional Entrance Examinations (BOPEE) official said: "This year 6000 candidates more than last year are sitting for the CET that started simultaneously in Jammu and Srinagar today."
"We have 11600 candidates taking the test from the Jammu region and 14900 from the Valley. The aspirants are competing for around 4000 seats in various professional colleges including medicine, engineering, agriculture, forestry, food technology and other courses."
The official added that flying squads authorized by the Board were carrying out surprise inspections of various centres to ensure that exams are conducted fairly.
The CET will continue on Sunday as well.
Hundreds of anxious parents waited outside examination centres in the city to find out how their wards had fared.
"My daughter is taking the test for the second time. Last year she qualified for Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), but did not join, as she wants to join the MBBS course. Hopefully she gets in this time", said a parent here.
Contingents of police have been deployed outside examination halls to ensure peaceful conduct of the test.
Reports from Jammu said despite the sweltering summer heat, candidates had lined up outside dozens of test centres since early morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31