3 militants, policeman killed in gunfight in Pulwama
Srinagar: Three militants and a policeman were killed and three security force personnel wounded in a fierce gunbattle in Tral area in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district today.
The gunbattle erupted when security forces launched a counter-insurgency operation in Midora village at Tral, some 35-km from here, following information about the presence of ultras there, IGP (Kashmir) A G Mir said.
Three militants and police constable Mushtaq were killed and three security force personnel, two of them from CRPF, were wounded in the exchange of fire, he said.
The house where the militants had taken shelter was destroyed in the gunbattle, the IGP told reporters after the wreath-laying ceremony for constable Mushtaq.
The slain ultras were identifed as Shabir Ahmed Bhat, Shahnawaz Ahmed Mir and Aijaz Ahmed.
Asked if the three ultras were involved in the Srinagar attack on an army convoy last week, Mir said investigations had not revealed this so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni a step closer to main draw
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs