3 militants, policeman killed in gunfight in Pulwama
Srinagar: Three militants and a policeman were killed and three security force personnel wounded in a fierce gunbattle in Tral area in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district today.
The gunbattle erupted when security forces launched a counter-insurgency operation in Midora village at Tral, some 35-km from here, following information about the presence of ultras there, IGP (Kashmir) A G Mir said.
Three militants and police constable Mushtaq were killed and three security force personnel, two of them from CRPF, were wounded in the exchange of fire, he said.
The house where the militants had taken shelter was destroyed in the gunbattle, the IGP told reporters after the wreath-laying ceremony for constable Mushtaq.
The slain ultras were identifed as Shabir Ahmed Bhat, Shahnawaz Ahmed Mir and Aijaz Ahmed.
Asked if the three ultras were involved in the Srinagar attack on an army convoy last week, Mir said investigations had not revealed this so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!