3 militants, policeman killed in gunfight in Pulwama
Srinagar: Three militants and a policeman were killed and three security force personnel wounded in a fierce gunbattle in Tral area in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district today.
The gunbattle erupted when security forces launched a counter-insurgency operation in Midora village at Tral, some 35-km from here, following information about the presence of ultras there, IGP (Kashmir) A G Mir said.
Three militants and police constable Mushtaq were killed and three security force personnel, two of them from CRPF, were wounded in the exchange of fire, he said.
The house where the militants had taken shelter was destroyed in the gunbattle, the IGP told reporters after the wreath-laying ceremony for constable Mushtaq.
The slain ultras were identifed as Shabir Ahmed Bhat, Shahnawaz Ahmed Mir and Aijaz Ahmed.
Asked if the three ultras were involved in the Srinagar attack on an army convoy last week, Mir said investigations had not revealed this so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city