3 militants, policeman killed in gunfight in Pulwama
Srinagar: Three militants and a policeman were killed and three security force personnel wounded in a fierce gunbattle in Tral area in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district today.
The gunbattle erupted when security forces launched a counter-insurgency operation in Midora village at Tral, some 35-km from here, following information about the presence of ultras there, IGP (Kashmir) A G Mir said.
Three militants and police constable Mushtaq were killed and three security force personnel, two of them from CRPF, were wounded in the exchange of fire, he said.
The house where the militants had taken shelter was destroyed in the gunbattle, the IGP told reporters after the wreath-laying ceremony for constable Mushtaq.
The slain ultras were identifed as Shabir Ahmed Bhat, Shahnawaz Ahmed Mir and Aijaz Ahmed.
Asked if the three ultras were involved in the Srinagar attack on an army convoy last week, Mir said investigations had not revealed this so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar