3,000 youth recruited in police since 2010: J&K CM
Srinagar: About 3000 youth, almost half of them hailing from different areas of Srinagar, got employment in police during 16 special recruitment rallies conducted since 2010, Jammu and Kashmir Assembly was informed on Monday.
"As many as 2,916 youth were recruited as constables during the recruitment drives conducted in police department since 2010," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who also holds the Home portfolio, said in a written reply to four questions.
As per the information, the highest number of 1,378 youth were recruited in the seven recruitment rallies conducted in the different constituencies of Srinagar between January 12, 2011 to May 6, 2012.
Four more such drives were conducted at Akhnoor, Nagrota, Reasi and Udhampur in Jammu region this year, recruiting a total of 494 youth in the police department.
The special recruitment drives at the level of constables are being conducted in the police department, pursuant to the cabinet decision taken on December 4, 2009.
As per the cabinet decision, the state police would undertake special recruitment drives in the under-represented areas in the state, for completing the recruitment process at the level of constabulary in the time bound manner.
The chief minister said that a well defined procedure and criteria have been fixed for making these recruitments transparent.
"While undertaking such special recruitment drives, the primary requirements like age, qualification and physical standards of the candidates are checked and the candidates have to qualify the prescribed norms for entry into the police service," he said.
He said the conduct of the special recruitment drives is an ongoing process and the dates for conducting special recruitment drives in other areas would be notified at the appropriate time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan