3,000 youth recruited in police since 2010: J&K CM
Srinagar: About 3000 youth, almost half of them hailing from different areas of Srinagar, got employment in police during 16 special recruitment rallies conducted since 2010, Jammu and Kashmir Assembly was informed on Monday.
"As many as 2,916 youth were recruited as constables during the recruitment drives conducted in police department since 2010," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who also holds the Home portfolio, said in a written reply to four questions.
As per the information, the highest number of 1,378 youth were recruited in the seven recruitment rallies conducted in the different constituencies of Srinagar between January 12, 2011 to May 6, 2012.
Four more such drives were conducted at Akhnoor, Nagrota, Reasi and Udhampur in Jammu region this year, recruiting a total of 494 youth in the police department.
The special recruitment drives at the level of constables are being conducted in the police department, pursuant to the cabinet decision taken on December 4, 2009.
As per the cabinet decision, the state police would undertake special recruitment drives in the under-represented areas in the state, for completing the recruitment process at the level of constabulary in the time bound manner.
The chief minister said that a well defined procedure and criteria have been fixed for making these recruitments transparent.
"While undertaking such special recruitment drives, the primary requirements like age, qualification and physical standards of the candidates are checked and the candidates have to qualify the prescribed norms for entry into the police service," he said.
He said the conduct of the special recruitment drives is an ongoing process and the dates for conducting special recruitment drives in other areas would be notified at the appropriate time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof