35 injured in clashes between protestors, police in Srinagar
Srinagar: Defying prohibitory orders, hundreds of people on Saturday took part in the funeral of the
17-year-old youth, who was killed during a clash between
demonstrators and police, even as skirmishes between
protesters and police left 35 persons, including 15 policemen,
injured across the city.
As the body of Tufail Ahmad Mattoo was handed over to the
next of kins by police today for last rites, people - men,
women and children - without caring for prohibitory orders and
presence of police and paramilitary personnel, came out of
their houses and marched towards the residence of Mattoos in
Body of the youth was taken in a procession to Jamia
Masjid where chairman of moderate faction of Hurriyat
Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, JKLF chairman Mohammad Yaseen
Malik, vice-chairman of rival faction of JKLF Javid Ahmad Mir
and other Hurriyat leaders including Syed Saleem Geelani
participated in "Nimaz-e-Jinazzah` (Prayer before burial) of
Later, the body of the 12th class student was laid to
rest at martyrs graveyard in Eidgah, a vast ground in old
city, where a large gathering had assembled from different
parts of the city to participate in the funeral with no
untoward incident, a police spokesman said.
The spokesman said the body of the deceased youth was
handed over to the legal heirs after a team of doctors
constituted by the District Magistrate conducted postmortem to
ascertain the actual cause of death of the youth.
"As the mourners insisted on burying the body at Eidgah,
the route clearance was facilitated as a result of which the
mourners offered Nimaz-e-Jinazah at Jamia Masjid and later
buried the body at Eidgah. Police and CRPF showed tremendous
restraint as a result of which the entire process passed off,
by and large, peacefully", the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!