35 people trapped in flash floods in J&K rescued
Jammu: Thirty-five people, who were trapped in the flash-floods in Kathua district in Jammu and Kashmir, have been rescued by the IAF, BSF and state police during a long drawn rescue operation on Friday.
The victims were trapped due to sudden flash floods in Ujh river and Ragi nallah in the district, police said.
The trapped persons included 2 in Billawar tehsil, 2 in Kot Punoo, 18 in Maichack, 11 in Khandwal areas besides two others in Hiranagar tehsil of the district, they said.
Acting promptly on the direction of Divisional Commissioner, Jammu, the police and district administration officials has successfully rescued the trapped people by airlifting them in conjunction with Army, BSF and Air force.
While the IAF airlifted 15 people, 18 were rescued by BSF troops and two by police and local people, police said.
The Ujh river was flowing above danger mark and had flooded large areas in Hiranagar tehsil, they added.
Meanwhile, a woman was washed away while another was rescued when a cloudburst hit a village in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district.
A cloud burst hit Romshi Nallah at Adi Trag village in Rajpora area of Pulwama today, police said.
Two women were washed away in the flood waters.
While one woman was rescued, the other lady, identified as Sharifa, died in the incident, they said.
Several houses were also reported to be damaged and some cattle perished in the cloud burst.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note