35 people trapped in flash floods in J&K rescued
Jammu: Thirty-five people, who were trapped in the flash-floods in Kathua district in Jammu and Kashmir, have been rescued by the IAF, BSF and state police during a long drawn rescue operation on Friday.
The victims were trapped due to sudden flash floods in Ujh river and Ragi nallah in the district, police said.
The trapped persons included 2 in Billawar tehsil, 2 in Kot Punoo, 18 in Maichack, 11 in Khandwal areas besides two others in Hiranagar tehsil of the district, they said.
Acting promptly on the direction of Divisional Commissioner, Jammu, the police and district administration officials has successfully rescued the trapped people by airlifting them in conjunction with Army, BSF and Air force.
While the IAF airlifted 15 people, 18 were rescued by BSF troops and two by police and local people, police said.
The Ujh river was flowing above danger mark and had flooded large areas in Hiranagar tehsil, they added.
Meanwhile, a woman was washed away while another was rescued when a cloudburst hit a village in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district.
A cloud burst hit Romshi Nallah at Adi Trag village in Rajpora area of Pulwama today, police said.
Two women were washed away in the flood waters.
While one woman was rescued, the other lady, identified as Sharifa, died in the incident, they said.
Several houses were also reported to be damaged and some cattle perished in the cloud burst.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?