38 people disabled due to ongoing unrest in J&K: Minister
Srinagar: At least 38 people have been
disabled, mostly due to action taken by security forces during
the ongoing unrest in Kashmir Valley, Jammu and Kashmir Health
Minister Sham Lal Sharma said on Thursday.
"As many as 38 patients were disabled by the injuries
inflicted during the protests. Several such patients were hit
in the eye, either by pellets or stones," Sharma said in a
written reply to a question by NC MLC Vijay Bakaya in the
legislative council here.
He said a "huge number of civilians" have been injured
during the protests in the Valley and a considerable number of
them received firearm injuries in the face and chest.
Nearly 700 people, including security personnel, injured
during the clashes were being treated at different hospitals
of the state, he said.
In south Kashmir`s Pulwama district, 335 injured were
admitted in various hospitals, while 120 people were being
treated at Budgam hospital.
In Anantang and Kulgam districts, 134 patients were
Kangan reported 55 injured people who have been admitted
at the sub-district hospital there, while 61 patients were
admitted in district hospital Ganderbal.
The causes of injuries, as mentioned in the minister`s
statement, include firearm injuries, rubber bullet injuries,
pellet injuries, beating and trauma.
Protests erupted in the Kashmir Valley after a
17-year-old boy Tufail Ahmad Mattoo was killed when a tear gas
shell thrown by police hit him here on June 11.
More than 100 protesters and bystanders have been killed
and many more injured in the four-month-long unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in