‘4,080 militants surrendered in 22 years in J&K’
Jammu: Over 4,000 militants, including 276
self-styled commanders, have surrendered during the last 22
years in Jammu and Kashmir, according to a state Home Ministry
"As many as 4,080 terrorists, including 276 self-styled
commanders, have surrendered before security forces and police
during the past 22 years in J&K," the data up to November 30
While 19 militants surrendered this year till November,
20 militants surrendered the previous year, it said.
15 militants surrendered in 2009, while 38 in 2008, 122
in 2007, 190 in 2006, 64 in 2005, 137 in 2004, 119 in 2003,
159 in 2002, 85 in 2001 and 104 in 2000, the data said.
The highest number of 655 terrorists had surrendered in
1996, followed by 612 in 1991, 601 in 1995, 444 in 1992, 270
in 1997, 187 in 1998, 109 in 1999, 98 in 1993 and 32 in 1994.
The state government has formulated a rehabilitation
policy for the surrendered militants under which 2,876 of them
have been provided Rupees 3 lakh as fixed deposit for
three years and a monthly relief of Rs 3,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming