46 houses gutted in fire in Pahalgam
Srinagar: Forty-six houses were gutted in a massive fire that broke out in the wee hours Sunday at Pahalgam in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, official sources said.
The fire broke out at around 2:30 am at Frislan, a peripheral village in Pahalgam, 100 kms from here, and quickly engulfed 46 houses and few cowsheds, they said.
The houses, mostly made of wood, were completely gutted.
There was no report of any loss of human life, they said, adding that over two dozen cattle perished in the blaze.
Fifteen fire-tenders doused the fire at around six in the morning, they said. Officials said the cause of the fire is being ascertained.
Preliminary report suggests that the fire started from a house where a villager had stored charcoal for winter. Villagers in Kashmir store charcoal for heating purpose during the winter months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Hafiz Saeed leaves Pakistan fuming, claims protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT
- I have aged not Michelle: Obama
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover