46 houses gutted in fire in Pahalgam
Srinagar: Forty-six houses were gutted in a massive fire that broke out in the wee hours Sunday at Pahalgam in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, official sources said.
The fire broke out at around 2:30 am at Frislan, a peripheral village in Pahalgam, 100 kms from here, and quickly engulfed 46 houses and few cowsheds, they said.
The houses, mostly made of wood, were completely gutted.
There was no report of any loss of human life, they said, adding that over two dozen cattle perished in the blaze.
Fifteen fire-tenders doused the fire at around six in the morning, they said. Officials said the cause of the fire is being ascertained.
Preliminary report suggests that the fire started from a house where a villager had stored charcoal for winter. Villagers in Kashmir store charcoal for heating purpose during the winter months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife