46 houses gutted in fire in Pahalgam
Srinagar: Forty-six houses were gutted in a massive fire that broke out in the wee hours Sunday at Pahalgam in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, official sources said.
The fire broke out at around 2:30 am at Frislan, a peripheral village in Pahalgam, 100 kms from here, and quickly engulfed 46 houses and few cowsheds, they said.
The houses, mostly made of wood, were completely gutted.
There was no report of any loss of human life, they said, adding that over two dozen cattle perished in the blaze.
Fifteen fire-tenders doused the fire at around six in the morning, they said. Officials said the cause of the fire is being ascertained.
Preliminary report suggests that the fire started from a house where a villager had stored charcoal for winter. Villagers in Kashmir store charcoal for heating purpose during the winter months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step