60 J&K govt employees arrested for fuelling unrest in Valley
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir police arrested
60 government employees, out of a total of 135, who were
allegedly involved in fuelling the recent unrest in the
"We have identified 135 government employees and 60-odd
have been arrested so far," Inspector General of Police,
Kashmir, S M Sahai told reporters here.
He was responding to a question about the involvement of
some government employees in the five-month unrest which left
over 100 persons dead and thousands of others injured.
Sahai said seven employees have been booked under Public
Safety Act (PSA) which provides for detention of a person upto
two years without trial.
"We have sent our recommendations (to the government) and
hope that disciplinary action will be taken (against the
erring employees)," the IGP said.
Sahai said investigations have revealed that some
anti-social and criminal elements had also taken advantage of
the law and order problems in the hope of escaping the dragnet
of the police.
"There are several incidents of arson in which people
indulging in cultivation and illicit trade of bhang and fuki
(intoxicants) were involved," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!