60 J&K govt employees arrested for fuelling unrest in Valley
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir police arrested
60 government employees, out of a total of 135, who were
allegedly involved in fuelling the recent unrest in the
"We have identified 135 government employees and 60-odd
have been arrested so far," Inspector General of Police,
Kashmir, S M Sahai told reporters here.
He was responding to a question about the involvement of
some government employees in the five-month unrest which left
over 100 persons dead and thousands of others injured.
Sahai said seven employees have been booked under Public
Safety Act (PSA) which provides for detention of a person upto
two years without trial.
"We have sent our recommendations (to the government) and
hope that disciplinary action will be taken (against the
erring employees)," the IGP said.
Sahai said investigations have revealed that some
anti-social and criminal elements had also taken advantage of
the law and order problems in the hope of escaping the dragnet
of the police.
"There are several incidents of arson in which people
indulging in cultivation and illicit trade of bhang and fuki
(intoxicants) were involved," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley