60 J&K govt employees arrested for fuelling unrest in Valley
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir police arrested
60 government employees, out of a total of 135, who were
allegedly involved in fuelling the recent unrest in the
"We have identified 135 government employees and 60-odd
have been arrested so far," Inspector General of Police,
Kashmir, S M Sahai told reporters here.
He was responding to a question about the involvement of
some government employees in the five-month unrest which left
over 100 persons dead and thousands of others injured.
Sahai said seven employees have been booked under Public
Safety Act (PSA) which provides for detention of a person upto
two years without trial.
"We have sent our recommendations (to the government) and
hope that disciplinary action will be taken (against the
erring employees)," the IGP said.
Sahai said investigations have revealed that some
anti-social and criminal elements had also taken advantage of
the law and order problems in the hope of escaping the dragnet
of the police.
"There are several incidents of arson in which people
indulging in cultivation and illicit trade of bhang and fuki
(intoxicants) were involved," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family