693 political leaders killed by militants in J&K
Jammu: Over 650 political leaders and
activists have been killed by militants in Jammu and Kashmir
in the past 20 years, though there has been a decrease in such
attacks in the recent times.
"Due to betterment in the security situation, there has
been decrease in attacks on political leaders and activists in
2009-10 and its previous year," a senior police official said.
Four political leaders of the ruling National Conference
(NC) were killed in 2009, the statistics of the state Home
Five political activists were killed in 2008 of which one
each belonged to NC, Congress and Awami National Conference
(ANC), besides two were from the Peoples Democratic party
A total number of 693 political leaders and activists
were killed during the past 20 years, it said, adding highest
number (416) of such leaders and activists was from ruling NC
followed by 96 of PDP, 86 of Congress, 16 of CPI(M), 15
each of BJP and Awami League, besides 9 from separatists, it
Highest number of 101 political leaders were killed in
2002 followed by 76 in 2001, 62 in 2004, 61 in 1996 and 58
each in 1997-98, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal