693 political leaders killed by militants in J&K
Jammu: Over 650 political leaders and
activists have been killed by militants in Jammu and Kashmir
in the past 20 years, though there has been a decrease in such
attacks in the recent times.
"Due to betterment in the security situation, there has
been decrease in attacks on political leaders and activists in
2009-10 and its previous year," a senior police official said.
Four political leaders of the ruling National Conference
(NC) were killed in 2009, the statistics of the state Home
Five political activists were killed in 2008 of which one
each belonged to NC, Congress and Awami National Conference
(ANC), besides two were from the Peoples Democratic party
A total number of 693 political leaders and activists
were killed during the past 20 years, it said, adding highest
number (416) of such leaders and activists was from ruling NC
followed by 96 of PDP, 86 of Congress, 16 of CPI(M), 15
each of BJP and Awami League, besides 9 from separatists, it
Highest number of 101 political leaders were killed in
2002 followed by 76 in 2001, 62 in 2004, 61 in 1996 and 58
each in 1997-98, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands