700-yr-old Nag temple thrown open for public in Doda
Bhadarwah (J&K): Doors of the 700-year-old Subar Nag temple, a symbol of Naga Cult, were thrown open on the eve of Baisakhi as scores of devotees across the country on Friday thronged the shrine as part of annual Nag Yatra.
The temple situated at an altitude of 8,200 feet from the sea level in the lush green meadows of Subar Dhar, 35 km from Bhadarwah town of Doda district, is considered to be a symbol of the Nag culture, which prevailed in the state centuries ago.
The presiding deity in the temple is a serpent Subar Nag and devotees, as per a custom, sacrifice sheep after their wishes are fulfilled.
"Bhadarwah is known for its ancient and unique Nag Culture. Nag Puja is an important aspect of our culture," a devotee said.
The Yatra begins with the opening of gate of the Nag temple at Subar Dhar during the month of Chetra every year and is closed before the onset of winter, as heavy snow fall in the area makes it impossible to reach the place.
"It is our tradition and we have been coming here for decades. It is our belief that whatever one desires here, is fulfilled by the deity," said Hari Lal, a local devotee.
"The Yatra has been going on for over thousands of years and people from all communities, including Muslims, have immense faith in the Serpent goddess," said Ajit Sharma, Sarpanch of Cinchora Panchayat.
"I came here twice before to attend the Baisakhi festival and fell in love with the lush green meadows surrounded by snow peaked Kailash and Ashapati range of mountains. I feel lucky to come here and would love to visit this place again," said a Muslim tourist, Khalid Rasool Angrez.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row