71% dip in militancy in last 5 years in J&K: Omar Abdullah
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed a 71 per cent drop in militancy so far in the five years of the National Conference-led government in the state, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Monday.
"Militancy has declined by 71 per cent in the last five years... No collateral damage has occurred in the anti- militancy operations by security forces," Omar told the Legislative Council here.
Responding to discussions on the Motion of Thanks for the governor for his address to the Joint Session of J&K Legislature, Omar claimed there has been a significant improvement in the security scenario while human rights violations have come down to almost zero.
Lauding security forces for showing restraint in challenging situations, Omar referred to the militant attacks on an Army convoy and on the BSF at Bemina and said that these incidents were examples of troops not resorting to indiscriminate firing to save the lives of innocent civilians.
Meanwhile, although Omar praised the Army for instituting an inquiry into the alleged Machil fake encounter, he expressed dismay over its decision to close the Pathribal fake encounter probe.
When it is established that innocent civilians have been killed, it is necessary to identify the culprits, he said, adding, "If the culprits are not those towards whom fingers are being pointed, then we have to find out who the real offenders are".
He said he had taken the matter up with the Prime Minister.
He, meanwhile, gave full credit to the people of J&K for the gradual return of peace in the state.
He said that sustained efforts by the government in the above regard, aided by the wholehearted support and commitment of the people, had yielded fruit.
"Conspiracies were hatched to disturb the law and order situation in the state and create hurdles in the delivery of governance, but the people of J-K defeated those behind such attempts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison
- California wildfire spreads to over 11,000 acres
- After Gujarat, Dalits attacked in Karnataka's Chikkamagaluru for storing beef; seven Bajrang Dal activists booked
- Nora Fatehi not happy with Salman Yusuf Khan's entry in 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9'?
- This herbal combo packs powerful punch against colon cancer