9 killed, 13 injured in Doda accident
Jammu: Nine persons were killed and 13 others injured, some of them seriously, when a vehicle carrying them skidded off the road and fell into a deep gorge in Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday, police said.
The mishap occurred when the driver of the ill-fated van lost control over the vehicle at Bhalla in Bhaderwah tehsil, they said.
The vehicle, which was on its way to Bhaderwah from Doda skidded off the road and fell into a 100-feet deep gorge resulting in death of five persons on the spot and injuries to 17 others, they said.
Of the injured, four persons died in district hospital at Doda taking the death toll to nine, they said.
Soon after receiving the information about the mishap, police rushed to the spot and started rescue operation, they said.
All the 13 injured were admitted in Doda hospital for treatment, they said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah expressed grief over the loss of lives in the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016, Match 30: Yusuf Pathan's heroics power Kolkata Knight Riders to five-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Israel says Erez crossing into Gaza to reopen
- Czech Republic OKs 'Czechia' as one-word version of its name
- Officials involved in water tanker scam in drought-hit Maharashtra's Beed suspended
- 37-year-old trader shot dead near Seelampur metro station in Delhi