9th std student commits suicide over his marriage
Jammu: Upset over his parents’ decision to marry a girl of their choice, a ninth class student allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree in the forest, police said here Tuesday.
The body of Shabir Ahmed (17) was found hanging from a tree in the forest belt near his Pumara village in Ramnagar belt of Udhampur district here where he allegedly committed suicide last night, a police officer said.
Shabbir had been staying with a friend after his parents chose a local girl for his marriage against his wishes and an altercation occurred. He is believed to have taken the extreme step when his family pressurised him to return and get engaged, police said, adding that he had an affair with another girl.
The body has been handed over to the family after conducting a post mortem, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town