Advani`s projection as symbol of secularism surprising: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday expressed surprise over the projection of L K Advani, who quit all BJP posts yesterday, as a symbol of secularism in NDA by some quarters.
"LK Advani as the NDA`s mascot of secularism. Who would have imagined!!!!!!" Omar, whose National Conference was a constituent of the alliance from 1999-2003, wrote on micro-blogging site twitter.Com.
Although Omar did not specify as to who he was referring to, the comment seems to be in response to JD-U`s stand on reconsidering its ties with the NDA in the wake of elevation of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP`s poll panel chief for next year`s Lok Sabha elections.
Janata Dal (United) president Sharad Yadav had termed Advani`s resignation as a "serious issue" and "not good for NDA health."
"I am deeply saddened by the resignation of Advaniji. Because the NDA was forged with the efforts of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Advaniji. He (Advani) is also the working president and Atalji is not keeping well," Yadav had said.
JDU national spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari had said yesterday that "It is a matter of great concern that Advani, who had built BJP brick by brick is being treated shabbily by his own party leaders who ran roughshod over him and went ahead with their decision to anoint Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the BJP poll campaign panel chief."
Omar had yesterday said that the resignation of BJP patriarch, whose opinion was ignored in the party, should not be a crisis for it.
"If his opinion didn`t matter to you yesterday, why is his resignation a crisis for you today?" he had asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA