Advani`s projection as symbol of secularism surprising: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday expressed surprise over the projection of L K Advani, who quit all BJP posts yesterday, as a symbol of secularism in NDA by some quarters.
"LK Advani as the NDA`s mascot of secularism. Who would have imagined!!!!!!" Omar, whose National Conference was a constituent of the alliance from 1999-2003, wrote on micro-blogging site twitter.Com.
Although Omar did not specify as to who he was referring to, the comment seems to be in response to JD-U`s stand on reconsidering its ties with the NDA in the wake of elevation of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP`s poll panel chief for next year`s Lok Sabha elections.
Janata Dal (United) president Sharad Yadav had termed Advani`s resignation as a "serious issue" and "not good for NDA health."
"I am deeply saddened by the resignation of Advaniji. Because the NDA was forged with the efforts of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Advaniji. He (Advani) is also the working president and Atalji is not keeping well," Yadav had said.
JDU national spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari had said yesterday that "It is a matter of great concern that Advani, who had built BJP brick by brick is being treated shabbily by his own party leaders who ran roughshod over him and went ahead with their decision to anoint Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the BJP poll campaign panel chief."
Omar had yesterday said that the resignation of BJP patriarch, whose opinion was ignored in the party, should not be a crisis for it.
"If his opinion didn`t matter to you yesterday, why is his resignation a crisis for you today?" he had asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’