AFSPA revocation: Ball in J&K Governor`s court
Jammu: Governor NN Vohra will have a final say in deciding whether special powers to the armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir are to be revoked from some areas and when, say highly placed official sources.
The Centre will wait for the Governor`s word primarily because of two reasons - the union defence and home ministries have different perceptions, while within the state, the Army and the state government have diametrically opposite views on the issue, the sources say.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and the union home ministry are for revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), which has been in force for more than 21 years, from some areas to begin with.
But the Army and defence ministry are wary of rushing into any such major decision which, according to them, runs the risk of reversal of gains made during anti-insurgency operations for two decades.
Abdullah triggered a fresh debate when he announced at a police function in Srinagar last Friday that AFSPA will be "lifted from some areas within days". He reiterated that the time has come to make a beginning on the issue.
With the defence ministry and the Army offering stiff resistance to the move, despite agreeing that the situation has improved, confrontation is building up on the lifting of AFSPA that was invoked in Kashmir Valley in 1990 and in the entire state (barring the two districts of Leh and Kargil) in August 2001.
As Vohra was holding key positions in the central government in the 1990s and subsequently had studied the Kashmir situation as the central interlocutor from 2003 till his appointment as Governor in 2008, he is "aware" of the ground realities and perspectives, the sources said.
His assessment of the situation would be a determining factor, as the Army, central government officers and the state government look upon him for sound advice on the issue, the sources said.
Even cabinet secretary Ajit Kumar Seth and Northern Command chief of the Army, Lt Gen KT Parnaik, had a detailed discussion with him.
"His report would be a deciding factor," a source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'