Afzal Guru issue: PDP stages walkout
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Wednesday witnessed uproarious scenes amid walkout from PDP over the issue of return of Afzal Guru`s mortal remains and the comments of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on it.
As the House assembled this morning, PDP members led by leader of the opposition Mehbooba Mufti raised the issue of return of the Guru`s body to the family and the statement of Union Home Minister that the body will not be handed over to the family.
However, Speaker Mubarak Gul intervening them said that they can raise the issue in the business advisory committee meeting in the day.
Speaker further said "you had raised the issue -- there was a debate on it (yesterday), the government gave statement on it-- what is your issue now".
He said "let one member of you to speak over the issue-- I want to know from you what is the issue and let me allow the House to run smoothly".
On this, PDP MLA Rafi Mir said "it is unfortunate-- we have raised the point of return of the body to the family but it has been turned down by the Home Minister of India-- this House has been insulted-- Chief Minister has been insulted-- opposition has been insulted-- nothing has been done to return the body".
BJP member Jugal Kishore and Ashwani Sharma of Jammu State Morcha (JSM) amid sloganeering and uproarious scenes said that PDP was only raising the issue of Guru and Assembly has been kept hostage on this issue but there was no mention of the person who was killed in Valley in stone pelting.
It triggered verbal duels between BJP and PDP Legislators.
Amid uproar, PDP`s Moulvi Iftikar Hussain Ansari asked the House to pass a resolution over the return of Guru`s body to the family.
However, Speaker turned it down, saying, state government has already taken up the issue with the Centre and the process is going on.
He further said whatever the information we receive will be shared with the House and the people of J&K.
Later speaking on the issue, leader of the House Mehbooba Mufti demanded reply from the government and condemned the Shinde`s statement.
"Sense of the House and people demanded return of the body so that the religious obligations are performed by the family", she said.
"First he (Shinde) spoke about the saffron terror then he thought how to prove himself that he was not against Hindus-- he hanged them -- recently he reveals the names of rape victims which was a blunder", she said.
"He was trying to bring people of Kashmir on their knees-- it is shame for the people and this House that Home Minister in shear arrogance says that he will not give the body", she said, adding "it will not be allowed-- we will not allow the House to run".
Amid uproarious and noisy scenes as the Speaker started Question Hour, Mehbooba Mufti staged a walkout from the House.
She, later at a press conference, said that PDP has boycotted the session in protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy