Afzal`s wife writes letter, demands return of his body
New Delhi: The wife of Afzal Guru, who was hanged and buried in Tihar jail last week, has said she had full right over his body and demanded that the mortal remains be handed over to her for "proper burial" in his home state of Jammu and Kashmir.
The Home Ministry, however, is likely to reject the request of Afzal’s wife Tabassum, citing jail manuals and possible law and order situation which may arise in J&K in the event of the body of the Parliament attack convict being handed over to the family, official sources said tonight.
In her short letter, Tabassum said that as Afzal’s wife she has full right over the body and its formal burial in his home state in keeping with religious traditions.
Though the letter was addressed to the Home Ministry, it was first handed over to the Deputy Commisioner of Baramulla, who then forwarded it to the state administration in Srinagar.
The state government faxed the letter to Union Home Secretary RK Singh and a letter by post is expected to reach the Home Ministry in a day or two.
Afzal was buried inside the Tihar jail soon after his hanging in a secret operation on February 09 alongside Kashmiri separatist leader Maqbool Bhat, who was also buried in the jail complex after his hanging in 1984.
The remains of Bhat were not handed over to his family.
The government has already said it will allow close relatives to visit Afzal’s grave, an offer rejected by the family saying they want nothing but his body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?