Afzal`s wife writes letter, demands return of his body
New Delhi: The wife of Afzal Guru, who was hanged and buried in Tihar jail last week, has said she had full right over his body and demanded that the mortal remains be handed over to her for "proper burial" in his home state of Jammu and Kashmir.
The Home Ministry, however, is likely to reject the request of Afzal’s wife Tabassum, citing jail manuals and possible law and order situation which may arise in J&K in the event of the body of the Parliament attack convict being handed over to the family, official sources said tonight.
In her short letter, Tabassum said that as Afzal’s wife she has full right over the body and its formal burial in his home state in keeping with religious traditions.
Though the letter was addressed to the Home Ministry, it was first handed over to the Deputy Commisioner of Baramulla, who then forwarded it to the state administration in Srinagar.
The state government faxed the letter to Union Home Secretary RK Singh and a letter by post is expected to reach the Home Ministry in a day or two.
Afzal was buried inside the Tihar jail soon after his hanging in a secret operation on February 09 alongside Kashmiri separatist leader Maqbool Bhat, who was also buried in the jail complex after his hanging in 1984.
The remains of Bhat were not handed over to his family.
The government has already said it will allow close relatives to visit Afzal’s grave, an offer rejected by the family saying they want nothing but his body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened