AJKPC demands resignation of Omar over sarpanch killing
Jammu: A day after a sarpanch was shot dead by militants in Sopore district of Jammu and Kashmir, All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference (AJKPC) on Saturday demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and Panchayati Raj Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar over the incident.
"We demand immediate resignation of Chief Minister and his Panchayati Raj Minister as they could not protect the panchayat members who are being openly threatened by the most dreaded terror organisation," Chairman, AJKPC, Shafiq Mir said here.
Mir said that "the government has totally failed to protect and provide security to members of panchayats".
Habibullah Mir, who was affiliated with the Congress, was shot dead by suspected militants at his residence in Sopore district yesterday.
Anil Sharma, general secretary of the AJKPC also criticised the state government for its response in dealing with the issue of security of the 33,000 panchayat members in the state.
"We have time and again made several pleas to the Panchayati Raj Minister, Union Home Minister, state DGP and several other senior police officials but still the leaders of the AJKPC are not provided any security cover", he alleged.
The attack was the first on a panchayat member by militants this year. Several sarpanches and panchayat members have been targeted by suspected militants in the state since 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened