AJKPC welcomes Cabinet nod for Panchayati Raj Act amendments
Jammu: The All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference (AJKPC) has welcomed the state Cabinet`s approval to extend provisions of the 73rd constitutional amendment to the state for empowering panchayati raj institutions.
"We welcome the decision. This is a historic decision and we, 33,000 panchayat members, appreciate the gesture of the central and state governments," AJKPC president Anil Sharma told reporters here today.
The AJKPC, an organisation of panches and sarpanches which has been spearheading the struggle for empowerment of panchayats, said the decision would certainly strengthen the grassroots level democracy in the state and further empower the people through democratic process.
"The credit for this goes to Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi who personally showed keen interest in empowerment of panchayati raj institutions in the state," Sharma said, adding that senior Congress leaders Ghulam Nabi Azad and Saif-uddin Soz also helped in their struggle.
The AJKPC president thanked all state Cabinet ministers for their role in giving nod to the constitutional amendments, and requested members of both Houses of the state legislature "to formulate and pass a strong legislation to empower the masses at the grassroots level".
Sharma described the cabinet decision as a landmark achievement and a victory of 33,000 panches and sarpanches of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof