All-party delegation assess Kishtwar situation, curfew on
Kishtwar: An all-party delegation visited Kishtwar on tuesday, which witnessed communal strife recently, and took stock of the situation as curfew remained in force in the trouble-torn district of the Jammu region for the 12th straight day.
The all-party delegation, which arrived here on monday evening, held talks with members of both the communities and senior district officers in a bid to de-escalate the tension.
The members of the delegation visited the violence-hit areas in Kishtwar, where curfew was clamped on August 9, in the aftermath of communal clashes, and assessed the situation, officials said.
Four members of a ministerial team, led by Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, had held separate meetings with leaders of the two communities on August 18.
A peace rally, comprising members from both the communities, was taken out in Rajouri border town today to ease communal tension.
The rallyists appealed to the people to maintain communal harmony.
The situation was limping back to normal in Kishtwar and no untoward incident was reported from anywhere, District Magistrate Baseer Khan said.
However, "no relaxation in curfew was given today in view of the passage of Machail yatra (annual pilgrimage to the holy shrine of goddess Chandi)", he said.
On monday, curfew was relaxed for four hours in Kishtwar where communal clashes had left three dead and more than 20 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WOW! This video of Andhra actor singing Allah, Allah fires up the internet – WATCH viral video
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani