All-party delegation assess Kishtwar situation, curfew on
Kishtwar: An all-party delegation visited Kishtwar on tuesday, which witnessed communal strife recently, and took stock of the situation as curfew remained in force in the trouble-torn district of the Jammu region for the 12th straight day.
The all-party delegation, which arrived here on monday evening, held talks with members of both the communities and senior district officers in a bid to de-escalate the tension.
The members of the delegation visited the violence-hit areas in Kishtwar, where curfew was clamped on August 9, in the aftermath of communal clashes, and assessed the situation, officials said.
Four members of a ministerial team, led by Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, had held separate meetings with leaders of the two communities on August 18.
A peace rally, comprising members from both the communities, was taken out in Rajouri border town today to ease communal tension.
The rallyists appealed to the people to maintain communal harmony.
The situation was limping back to normal in Kishtwar and no untoward incident was reported from anywhere, District Magistrate Baseer Khan said.
However, "no relaxation in curfew was given today in view of the passage of Machail yatra (annual pilgrimage to the holy shrine of goddess Chandi)", he said.
On monday, curfew was relaxed for four hours in Kishtwar where communal clashes had left three dead and more than 20 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre