All set for J&K panchayat elections: EC
Srinagar: In the run-up to the panchayat
polls being held after a gap of over a decade in Jammu and
Kashmir, the Election Commission has sought to reassure
voters, saying all arrangements are in place for the mega
exercise to be held next month.
Over fifty lakh voters will exercise their franchise,
during the three-tier poll starting April 16, said Chief
Election Officer (CEO) B R Sharma yesterday.
Chairing a meeting convened here to review poll
preparations, Sharma said as many as 25,19,024 people will
vote in the 15959 panchayat constituencies of the Valley,
while 25,49,951 will cast votes in 13760 panchayat
constituencies in Jammu.
About 32,000 ballot boxes have been requisitioned for
the polls, he said, as the state`s Panchayat Raj Act does not
allow the use of Electronic Voting Machines(EVMs).
Asking the election officials to strictly enforce the
model code of conduct, Sharma warned unscrupulous elements
saying that anybody found flouting the code will invite
33 per cent of the seats are reserved for women in the
polls the notification for which was issued on Monday. The
entire process is due to be completed by June 30.
Panchayats were last held in the state in 2000-01,
after a gap of 23 years through secret.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31