All set for J&K panchayat elections: EC
Srinagar: In the run-up to the panchayat
polls being held after a gap of over a decade in Jammu and
Kashmir, the Election Commission has sought to reassure
voters, saying all arrangements are in place for the mega
exercise to be held next month.
Over fifty lakh voters will exercise their franchise,
during the three-tier poll starting April 16, said Chief
Election Officer (CEO) B R Sharma yesterday.
Chairing a meeting convened here to review poll
preparations, Sharma said as many as 25,19,024 people will
vote in the 15959 panchayat constituencies of the Valley,
while 25,49,951 will cast votes in 13760 panchayat
constituencies in Jammu.
About 32,000 ballot boxes have been requisitioned for
the polls, he said, as the state`s Panchayat Raj Act does not
allow the use of Electronic Voting Machines(EVMs).
Asking the election officials to strictly enforce the
model code of conduct, Sharma warned unscrupulous elements
saying that anybody found flouting the code will invite
33 per cent of the seats are reserved for women in the
polls the notification for which was issued on Monday. The
entire process is due to be completed by June 30.
Panchayats were last held in the state in 2000-01,
after a gap of 23 years through secret.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!