Amalgam opposes killing of ‘sarpanches’: Geelani
Srinagar: Strongly opposing the killing of panches and sarpanches in Jammu and Kashmir, Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Saturday said his amalgam favours fighting politicians politically.
"We favour fighting politicians (including panches and sarpanches) politically," he told reporters at his Hyderpora residence here.
Nearly 12 elected grassroot workers were killed by suspected militants in Kashmir Valley since the democratic exercise conducted after nearly three decades in April last year, forcing many to resign in panic.
In one such killings at Pattan this week, police arrested a leader of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat, the party formed by Geelani after parting ways with Jamaat-e-Islami in 2004, and booked him under section 302 (murder).
The hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman said "we don`t believe in coercive measures."
He accused the government of falsely implicating Tehreek-e-Hurriyat Tehsil president Abdullah Nasir in the killing of a panch.
Geelani alleged by connecting Nasir with the killing, the government is planning to impose a ban on Tehreek.
Accusing the government of "strong arm tactics", he said it has banned political activities of the Hurriyat and even does not allow organisation to hold religious functions.
"Virtually, I continue to be under house arrest for the past two years," Geelani said terming the government`s step as "unjust, unconstitutional and unlawful".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!