Amarnath yatra crosses 3-lakh mark
Srinagar: The number of yatris paying obeisance at the 3,880-metre high holy cave shrine of Shri Amarnath in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday crossed the three lakh mark.
Nearly 10,000 pilgrims performed darshan of the naturally- formed ice lingam at the holy cave till 5.00 pm today, an officials of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) said.
He said this included 377 persons who performed the yatra by helicopter from Baltal and Pahalgam helipads.
More than 2.93 lakh pilgrims had paid obeisance at the holy cave shrine since the commencement of annual pilgrimage from Baltal route on June 28 and from traditional Pahalgam route on July 2.
The number of pilgrims who died during the pilgrimage this year is 33, including one Sadhu, the official said.
Although the number of pilgrim deaths is much lower this year than 120 recorded in 2012, it has risen sharply from the 14 deaths that occurred during the last year`s yatra, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH