Amarnath yatra: Jawan, 4 pilgrims die of cardiac arrest
Srinagar: Four pilgrims and an army jawan died of cardiac arrest enroute to the Amarnath shrine in south Kashmir, taking the death toll in the ongoing yatra to 37, officials said on Friday.
The jawan, identified as Naik Sant Lal, a resident of Haryana, collapsed during patrolling in Brarimarg area along Baltal-cave route, the officials said. Lal was rushed to hospital where he was declared brought dead.
The officials said three women pilgrims Gori Rani (35) and Santosh (45), both hailing from Punjab, and Barti (55) of Andhra Pradesh died at Baltal and Brarimarg last evening.
Another pilgrim, Ram Krishan (62) of Haryana, also suffered heart attack and died at Dumail on the Baltal-cave route yesterday, the officials said.
The annual yatra, which commenced on June 25 from the twin routes of Baltal in Ganderbal district and traditional Pahhalgam in Anantnag district, was going on smoothly.
"As many as 2,35,105 pilgrims had paid obeisance at the 3,880 metre high holy cave shrine housing the naturally formed ice-shivlingam by last night," the officials said.
They said over 15,000 more pilgrims offered their prayers at the shrine by this afternoon, while nearly 20,000 others have reached different halting stations enroute to the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum