Amarnath yatra must follow environment policy: CPI
Srinagar: Expressing concern over degradation of Himalayan region`s fragile ecology, the CPI(M) on Thursday demanded that the Amarnath pilgrimage be undertaken in accordance with the standards set in the environmental policy of the country.
"The government should take care of the fragile environment in the Amarnath Cave. Just like the principles of conservation of environment and administrative facilitation in the Gangotri pilgrimage and the larger conservation plans for the Ganga River are applied to the pilgrimage, we expect the state government to apply the similar standards in Amarnath yatra," CPI(M) State Secretary Tarigami said in a statement.
He asked the government to get a group of environmental experts study the impact of the unregulated pilgrim rush on the ecology of the Amarnath area and recommend measures to be taken to regulate the same keeping in view the environmental concerns of the people.
"I appeal the environmentalists to come forward to suggest how to address their concerns. The collection and the disposal of solid waste during yatra period is a problem area which needs to be focused on."
The environmental experts should suggest measures for the protection and conservation of fragile environment in the Himalayan region, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi