Amarnath yatra resumes after two days suspension
Jammu: After remaining suspended for two
days due to security reasons and bad weather conditions, the
annual Amarnath yatra on Monday resumed from here with a new batch leaving for the holy cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas.
The batch of 875 pilgrims, comprising 514 men, 145
women, 8 children and 208 sadhus, left in a cavalcade of 24
vehicles from the base camp of Bhagwati Nagar here around
10:25 hours, police officials said.
With today`s batch, as many as 86,072 pilgrims from
different parts of the country had left from here for onward
journey to pay obeisance at the 3,880 metre high cave shrine
in the Valley.
The yatra remained suspended for last two days due to
security reasons and bad weather conditions due to heavy rains
in the Valley.
This is the sixth time that the pilgrimage was halted
since its commencement on June 30.
Over 4.50 lakh pilgrims have so far paid obeisance at
the cave shrine.
Meanwhile, Buddha Amarnath yatra in Poonch district
was today suspended from Jammu due to bad weather, officials
No new batch was allowed to leave from Jammu to Buddha
Amarnath Shrine Mandi hills of Poonch district from here due
to inclement weather conditions and heavy rains enroute, they
The yatra, which started on Friday, has been suspended
for the first time. As many as 4,000 pilgrims have left for
the shrine till now.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in