Amarnath yatra suspended from Jammu
Jammu: Authorities on Saturday suspended the Amarnath yatra from here due to heavy rains along the route leading to the cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas.
A fresh batch of pilgrims was not allowed to proceed from the base camp of Bhagwati Nagar for onward journey due to overnight rains along the routes between Baltal and Nunwan camps in Pahalgam to the shrine, police said.
The tense situation in Kashmir also led authorities to stop another batch from proceeding, they said.
This is for the fifth time that the Amarnath yatra has been suspended from here since it commenced on June 30.
According to officials, more than 4.50 lakh pilgrims have so far paid their obeisance at the shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued