Amarnath yatra violence handwork of mischievous elements: NC
Srinagar: Ruling National Conference (NC) on Saturday condemned the violence at Baltal base camp of Amarnath Yatra and termed it the handiwork of "mischievous elements".
"The conflagration at Baltal due to clashes between two groups was the handiwork of mischievous elements, who had tried hard to damage the spirit of peace, cooperation and mutual harmony that is the hallmark of the Yatra," Jammu and Kashmir Minister of Forests Mian Altaf Ahmed and NC provincial president Nasir Aslam Wani said in a joint statement here.
Both the leaders condemned the "provocative behaviour by mischievous elements" and appealed for the maintenance of peace and calm.
Commending the Yatra for being a symbol of peace and harmony, the leaders said, "The Amarnath Yatra is a testimony to the hospitality of Kashmiri men and women and there has never been and will never be a deviation from this tradition."
NC leaders also demanded the arrest of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Praveen Togadia for his "provocative" remarks on the incident and said the party would not allow communal elements to exploit the Baltal incident.
The leaders also asked the administration to ensure that no inconvenience is caused to the pilgrims and the conduct of the Yatra is unhindered and smooth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Manchester United lacked identity under Louis van Gaal, says Cristiano Ronaldo
- Want to take more people of colour on my show: Aziz Ansari
- Twitter poll a prophecy? 61% of fans feel Salman Khan's 'Sultan' will sprint ahead 300 cr mark!
- Subramanian Swamy steps up attack on Raghuram Rajan, lists 6 'charges' against RBI Governor in letter to PM
- Shabbir Ahluwalia's romance locked dinner date with wife Kanchi Kaul – See pic