Amarnath yatra violence handwork of mischievous elements: NC
Srinagar: Ruling National Conference (NC) on Saturday condemned the violence at Baltal base camp of Amarnath Yatra and termed it the handiwork of "mischievous elements".
"The conflagration at Baltal due to clashes between two groups was the handiwork of mischievous elements, who had tried hard to damage the spirit of peace, cooperation and mutual harmony that is the hallmark of the Yatra," Jammu and Kashmir Minister of Forests Mian Altaf Ahmed and NC provincial president Nasir Aslam Wani said in a joint statement here.
Both the leaders condemned the "provocative behaviour by mischievous elements" and appealed for the maintenance of peace and calm.
Commending the Yatra for being a symbol of peace and harmony, the leaders said, "The Amarnath Yatra is a testimony to the hospitality of Kashmiri men and women and there has never been and will never be a deviation from this tradition."
NC leaders also demanded the arrest of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Praveen Togadia for his "provocative" remarks on the incident and said the party would not allow communal elements to exploit the Baltal incident.
The leaders also asked the administration to ensure that no inconvenience is caused to the pilgrims and the conduct of the Yatra is unhindered and smooth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why